Tag Archives: blasting

Chassis Complete

Well, its taken far longer than I anticipated but at last my chassis repairs are complete and I can start the rather more enjoyable task of starting to rebuild the car and in so doing start to empty the summerhouse of the all those bits of Herald that I’ve been steadily refurbishing for the past six months.

Herald chassis with the rotten bits removed
Herald chassis with the rotten bits removed

I ended up replacing both side rails, three of the outriggers (three had been replaced in the dim and distant past and, despite being poorly welded, were still in good condition) and plating the remaining two.  I also added a couple of reinforcement plates which will hopefully strengthen the rear of the chassis and prevent muck getting into the rear box sections.  All-in-all I’m quietly pleased the results of my welding which has improved markedly over the past couple of months.   Welding the thin and rusty bodywork will, of course, be a whole different matter!  

Herald chassis reinforcement
Herald chassis reinforcement, which should also prevent some of the muck getting into the box section

Having finished welding the chassis I sent it off to our local ‘blasters’ who did an excellent job, including giving it a coat of primer, for only £75 – money very well spent.  I then gave it another coat of zinc-based primer followed by a couple of coats of Frosts ‘Extreme Chassis Black’ which will hopefully keep it protected in the years to come.  At the end of the restoration I’ll fill/coat it with Waxoyl – I’ve had a gallon tin in the garage for the past 20 years, I knew it would come in handy one day! 

The Herald chassis back from the 'blasters' and with a coat of Bondaprimer
The Herald chassis back from the ‘blasters’ and with a coat of Bondaprimer
The finished article – all I need to do now is rebuild the car!