The Standard Motor Company was founded in 1903 by Reginald Walter Maudslay and grew from a tiny workshop employing seven people in Much Park Street, Coventry to become one of the largest car manufacturers in Britain, employing some eleven thousand people at its peak. Over the sixty years of the company’s existance they progressed from their first car, powered by a single cylinder engine with three speed gearbox and shaft drive to develop a surprisingly large range of models, powered by engines from 8hp 4-cylinders up to 20hp V8s. They also supplied several independent car builders with major components, including Railton and Swallow Sidecars (later to be named SS and eventually Jaguar). The purchase of the Triumph marque in 1945 added a second badge to the stable and all post-war Triumphs were designed and built in Standard factories. The Triumph badge was used exclusively on all cars after 1963.
The Standard-Triumph brand was subsumed first into Leyland Motors in 1960 then into BLMC, but the same workforce continued to build Triumph-badged cars in Coventry until the 1980s.
A more comprehensive history of the company, along with a full list of models, is to be found here.